Jody Blazek, CPA
Jody's accounting career has concentrated on nonprofit organizations for forty years. This focus began with KPMG when she studied and interpreted the Tax Reform Act of 1969 as it related to charitable organizations and the creation of privat foundations. From 1972 to 1981, she gained nonprofit managment experience as treasurer of the Menil Interests where she worked with John and Dominque de Menil to plan the Menil Collection, The Rothko Chapel, and other proejcts of the Menil Foundation. She returned to public practice in 1981 and was founding partner of Blazek & Vetterling.
She is the author of six books in the Wiley Nonprofit Series on nonprofit law, finance, and management: Tax Planning and Compliance for Tax Exempt Organizations, 5th edition; Form 1023 Preparation Guide; Nonprofit Financial Planning Made Easy; Private Foundations: Tax Law and Compliance, 3rd edition and The Private Foundation Legal Answer Book co-authored with Bruce Hopkins; and Revised Form 990 co-authored with Amanda Adams. Jody is a nationally recognized authority on nonprofit organizations through her books, clients that she represents, and articles published in Exempts and The Exempt Organization Tax Review, where she serves on the editorial board.
She has served on the planning committee and presented for the AICPA, University of Texas, Loyola Law, and Philanthropy Southwest Conferences, and other nonprofit symposia. As past chair of the AICPA committee, Jody participates in the initiation of tax policies with the Internal Revenue Service Exempt Organization Division.
University of Texas at Austin, BBA, 1964
Certified Public Accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants,
- Past Chair and Adjunct Member: Tax Exempt Organizations Resource Panel,
- Form 990, and 1023 Redesign Task Forces
- Texas Society of CPAs
- Houston Chapter of CPAs, Volunteer Services Committee,
- Special Recognition Award, 1988, 1995, 1997, 2003, and 2007
- Independent Sector Panel on the Nonprofit Sector, Financial Reporting Section
- Anchorage Foundation of Texas, Treasurer
- Houston Artists Fund, President
- Houston Tomorrow, Board Member